Compete with the Big Guys, Use Google My Business to Grow
Google My Business is a free account that helps small businesses compete with larger organizations locally. For an insurance agency Google local search offers exposure similar to paid advertising. It can help increase sales and expand brand recognition. Take advantage of this powerful online tool by claiming or adding your listing.
Claim Your Listing
Google My Business listings are built using user-generated content. It’s possible that someone submitted a review for your location. This means that even if you have not set up an account, there may already be a listing. Search for your business on Google to find out and claim it.
- If any of the results match the information for your business, click on it to bring up the knowledge panel on the right side of the screen.
- Look for a link that asks, “Are you the business owner?” This means that there is a listing, but that the business is unclaimed.
- Click the link to claim the location.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the relevant information for your business.
Add Your Listing
If there is no link, go to Google My Business to build your listing. If you are like most people, you already have a Google account. It may be for Gmail, the Google drives, browser, AdWords or any Google product. This is the account that is automatically selected as the primary account for the Google My Business listing.
- Click the green Start Now to enter your business name and get started.
- Click “Next” to continue entering the address and other location information.
- Follow the on-screen directions to complete your Google My Business Listing profile.
Once you have claimed an existing or added your business listing, the account’s Dashboard will be shown. This is the Home page for your listing. Category highlights are shown in the center of the screen. The left side lists the tools available to help you make the most of your account. Posts Info and Messaging are essential for creating an effective listing.
- Posts is very similar to Facebook and LinkedIn posts. It is an ideal way to promote events and specials. It remains live for a week before being archived. This makes weekly posts a fast, easy way to add fresh content and keep the Google Search Results up-to-date.
- Info displays the hours and contact information in an organized, easy-to-read format in the Knowledge Panel on the Google Search Results Page. Make sure the information is accurate, modifying as needed. The name, address and phone numbers should exactly match the way they are displayed on your website, including abbreviations and punctuation. Add holiday hours and any other necessary information.
- Messaging allows clients and prospects to contact you directly from the listing on the search results page. This a very powerful feature, especially in mobile search. Enter your cell phone number if you’d like to receive the contacts as text messages.
Google My Business can help increase traffic, leads and exposure in your local area. At Real Results, we have the experience and expertise to help you take your agency to the next level. Contact us to grow your business through referrals and create new opportunities.